Advocacy Services

Do you want to complain about your NHS care or treatment?

The National Health Service (NHS) works hard to treat everyone properly and promptly. Most people using the NHS are happy with their treatment, but sometimes things can go wrong.

By raising your concerns you can help put things right and the NHS can learn from your experience.

Independent Complaints Advocacy ServiceThe Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) is a free, independent advocacy service that can help you make a complaint about any aspect of your NHS care or treatment. This includes treatment in a private hospital or care home that is funded by the NHS.

How can we help you?

We will provide you with a self help information pack to help you make a complaint about your care or treatment using the NHS Complaints Procedure. You can choose to make your complaint with, or without, the support of an ICAS advocate. Your decision may depend on how confident you feel about starting the complaints process and the complexity of your case.

If you feel you need further support, we can provide you with advocacy support.

Remember: you can request an ICAS advocate at any stage of the NHS Complaints Procedure.

SEAP is responsible for delivering ICAS in the South West, South Central and South East of England.

IMCA  - is an Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy Service - and supports the person who lacks capacity and represents their likely views to those responsible for making decisions.  Advocates will work with the person lacking capacity to try and establish their views and to involve them in the decision-making process as much as possible.  Further information about IMCA service can be obtained from
Cornwall Advocacy is an independent organisation in Cornwall offering a varierty of advocacy services to people who learning disability.  Here is a link for further information
Cornwall People First is an organisation who help people with learning disabilities in Cornwall.  They are a user led self advocacy charity that has a membership all across the county and who support those with a learning disability to make their voices heard.  They hold forum meetings and subjects covered have included: transport, health, housing, adult social care and relationships and they also campaign to make things better for people with learning disabilities.  If you would like more information their telephone number is 01736 334857 and website


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website